Tuesday, June 8, 2010

But Just Think of the PeLiCaNs!!!

Most people who know me know I looove to celebrate untraditional events - as in, I'm that person who sends the mass text at 11:59PM on the eve of Black History Month to say "HAPPPPY BLACK HISTORY MONTH!!! LET'S GET IT!!"....the responses are usually priceless "???" or "Char...seriously!" or "dude go to sleep!". So given that Mental Illness Awareness Month just passed, and Hispanic Heritage Month is still a month away, I was ever so pleased to learn that June 8th is the official date for World Oceans Day!!! As an avid lover of fish and fish related products, the irony, given the recent events in the Gulf Coast, does not escape me (which may be of surprise to some).

I chose to commemorate this event much like I do most events - with food and drank! It became readily apparent, that many a person was unfamiliar with this anniversary, and thus, not at all interested in partaking in the commemoration. Luckily for me it just so happened to be my friend Chik's birthday, and I was able to coax him into celebrating at a seafood restaurant, while also honoring those poor pelicans that fell victim to the oil spill. *moment of silence*.
I sent him a text the night before with the name, location and time of our meeting. "Sea - 75 2nd Ave - 7PM!...see ya then! *bbm dancing emoticon*". 7PM came and we were both standing outside 75 2nd Ave, but alas, much like the gulf coast, Sea was unrecognizable (lol too soon?). Turns out a Vietnamese restaurant had been erected in its place. Feeling able bodied and energetic, we decided to walk all 18 blocks to the Meatpacking location. The hour it took us to walk over (I guess we weren't as able-bodied as we thought!) flew by as I narrated to Chix the events which had taken place over the course of the week since I last spoke to him - my encounter with my {former} hairdresser who had lost his mind and started breaking appliances mid-blowdry; my encounter with the sociopath who claimed to own xyz business and frequent porsche dealerships, meanwhile he was actually homeless and living in a Church office; and last but not least...well, we wont go there right now. It's funny because Chix has appeared on some soap operas in the past, yet everytime I begin one of my "ohh did I tell you what happenED??..." he always says I need to be on a soap opera...I'm not quite sure how to take that.

Anyways, we finally arrived to Sea around 8PM, and before seating us, the gregarious waiter said something to the effect of "oh what an attractive couple", to which I replied, "whaaaaaaa??? we are siblings!!!!!!"....and the poor guy turned red and started stammering, and I felt the need to add "just kiddinggg" - which didn't make things any less awkward. We were sitted and the menu was presented to us. The good thing about dining with Chix is that there's no back and force - he knows what he wants and goes after it *pause* (lol). But seriously, we placed our drink orders (passion fruit martini and a Thai sex on the beach), our appetizers order (green wonton crab dumplings and sauteed beef) and finally, our main entree (seafood rice clay pot and Toramind Crispy Fish <-I think I have the name of this wrong). The good thing about Sea, whether at the Williamsburg location or perhaps even the old E.Vill location, is that the service is always prompt! Within a couple of minutes our appetizers appeared and before we could down that, our entrees appeared - allll extremely delic and satisfying!!
We were sitted outside and had the luxury of people watching those going to/coming from the Standard. Even within Sea itself, I couldn't help but notice how attractive the patrons were! I was like "omg is it just me or are most people in here like super attractive". Chix was convinced it was just the usual Meatpacking crowd and there was nothing particularly special. Still on the topic of general attractiveness, I was like "so you must have noticed how my skin has been glowing lately? riiiiight???" *lack-luster response* And then proceeded to discuss the benefits of taking prenatal vitamins even when one isn't with child - it's really comforting to be able to publicly address such topics without fear of side-eye glances!


blackberry pics just aren't the best >.<>

mmm what that taste like??



note the 1/2 eaten fish - loove World Ocean's Day!!

There was no desert for us, not so much because we are watching our figures, but more so because nothing on the menu looked promising/life changing. We then left Sea and kept the celebration going at the rooftop at Gansevort and again at Gaslight (what Tuesday 9AM mtg???). At Gaslight there was some Bacardi promotion event going on, thus we were showered with free drinks courtesy of the kind folks at Bacardi - I'm sure I'll regret indulging in said libations at some point tomorrow, but then again, it isn't everyday that your 'SIBLING!' turns twenty-something nor is it everyday that you have the opportunity to celebrate WORLD OCEAN'S DAY!!! - seriously, those poor pelicans!! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment