Tuesday, May 11, 2010

24's


Been Gone For a Minute, Now I'm Back at the Jumpoff...(Lil Kim circa 2003 - aka the year I graduated HIGH SCHOOL aka EONS ago!!). That seems just about how long I've taken a bit of a hiatus from blogging. Sure I got the occassional whispers questioning "heyy Char, whatever happened to your blog??" but I chucked that to the fact that he was underemployed and in dire need of something to occupy his days. Fortunately, said acquaintance has since started his own company and is too busy; too bizaaayyy in fact, that he couldn't even show up to my birthday shindig on Sat night (but hey, who's holding grudges).

Which brings me to the main point of this post -- Last Saturday was my pre-24 bday celebration. I'm usually not the celebration type of person...well, I'll rephrase that. I don't care much for the planning and patience that goes into hosting a partay. Planning is the #1 stressor in my life...not to mention I have the patience of a ticking time bomb. So personally, I would rather celebrate my bday/any joyous occassion, by...say, ordering a whoooole pizza pie and chowing down while watching Law&Order (may/may not be what I had planned for Sat!) than have 20-50 people texting me the night of the event to ask the same questions: "when does it start again?" - 9PM!! I SENT YOU AN EVITE! CHECK IT!!!....."what's the address?" - 15 GOLD STREET, SERIOUSLY CHECK THE EVITE!!!!...."hey, i can't find the place. what is the cross street?" - I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU DON'T CHECK THAT M*&^*&^ F*&KIN EVITE!!!!!... "I'm running late. you sure dinner is at 7:30?" - WHAAT?! FINE! WE'LL PUSH IT TO 8! SEE YOU THEN!... "hey, I don't think I can make dinner" - *silence*...."is that ok?" - WHAT THE F*&% DO YOU THINK????? I MADE RESVS!!!!!....."jeez, someone's in a bad mood" - I'M NOT IN A BAD MOOOD!!!!!!!!! >.<>
So yes, it is safe to say I was stuh-ressed with a capital S. To help ease my stress, I had two glasses of wine while getting dressed and listening to some Southern rap (which would prove to be a baaaad idea!).

By the time I got to the Thompson Hotel for dinner, the guest list had dwindled from 8 people to just 2. lol looking back at it now, I laugh - hahaha - but I certainly wasn't really laughing on Sat. I had purposely kept the dinner list super small to mitigate the risk of annoyance which comes with planning a large event (read: I can only stand to sit down for dinner with a handful of people - jus sayin'). Two originally couldn't make it as they were heading home for Mother's Day (hmpf!), one came down with a mysterious ailment on Friday night (whatevs!), one had to head out of town to care for her grandma (I was gracious enough to offer to post a "NURSE WANTED" ad on craigslist on her behalf just so she could make it - offer declined!), and the other two, well I have an ever so slight feeling that the exchange above may have had something to do with it? So it really was just Sarah and myself for dinner which worked out to be more wondrous than I could ever have planned!! The setting of the restaurant was more 'date night' than I had imagined, which made things awkward, but good awkward (lol jk) - but overall, the food was delic and the two cosmos I had were even better (this would turn out to be a baaaaad idea).


After dinner we moved upstairs to where the real partaaaay was being held. The party was actually a multi-celebration for myself, my friend Elle (turned 28!) and Erik (leaving the city to join the secret service - umm should I not be saying you're in the secret service on a blog?? - oh right, two followers...you're fiiiine). Much like I anticipated, they didn't arrive until waaaay later...in the meantime, I had ooohh 1/2/3 more drinks while waiting for the party to get started (this turned out to be a baaaaad idea!). Before I knew it, the music was a poppin', the guests were a arrivin' and the champagne was just a flowin'. It seemed like every other guest that came in made a beeline for the bar and would come back to where I was sitting with "drinks for the birthday girl!!!". For some reason I'm just not familiar with the notion of turning down anything...least of which is a drink; thus, I would oblige...and ohhh how I obliged. I can't go into much detail due to the fact that the details escape me, but from what I gather, it was a wondrous night. Hints as to how crazy of a night it was came in the form of mass texts the next morning (stuh-resssful!), asking "how are you feeling?"...."are you ok???". To which I had the same response: "I Liiiive!!!". I must say, I'm glad to have that alllll out of my system (no really, I'm currently on a 3-day renewal cleanse!) and ready to settle into life as a full blown adult. As I enter this realm of newfound adulthood, I have decided to make more responsible decisions such as: investing more in my IRA account, arriving to my place of employment before 9AM, and recycling - not many people know this, but my paper and plastic used to go in the same bin! *gasp*. I do believe adulthood will be a good look on me, even better than the shoulder pad dress and fur. Did we love it??

Sidebar but still on the topic of newfound adulthood. I recently came upon the blog of a friend of a friend {drebell013.blogspot.com}. In the blog he talks about how his apartment was burnt down and he was able to escape only with his keys and Bible. Such a sad sad story, but it led me to think more deeply about renters insurance b/c I meann if (GOD FORBID) my apartment were ever to erupt in flames (seriously, GOD FORBID!!), I feel as though my Bible would be the last thing I would reach for on my way out...just sayin' (forgive me Father!!). Especially as I look over my bed and see alll the wondrous gifts I received from my ever so generous family and myself (wasn't sure the former would deliver!), I simply can't imagine alll those items going up in flames. I don't really think that's materialistic of me, it's just...but that's allll I have!!! If I had a dog I would reach for Fluffy on my way out; if I had a husband/significant other I would wake him up on my way out; but given that I have neither, must fill the void with what I do have!! The point is - renters insurance is the way of the future! Meanwhile, for those of you "silent followers" whose gifts aren't laying on my bed as I type this/who had no intentions of gifting me anything on my 24th year on this earth (again, no grudges!) I implore you, rather than rushing to the nearest Hallmark Goldcrown to purchase me a card, pray, make a donation to the young couple at the link provided: drebell013.blogspot.com As my eccentric sister puts it, "in one year you'll be 25 and on top of the hill...and it's all downhill from there, soo....enjoy it now!!!" For once, I plan to follow her twarped advice and do just that. A toast to another year of Dolce Vita-ness!! *raises glass of water in the air*. What better way to launch this new age than in a brand spanking new pair of fabulous Dolce Vita sandals - thank you sistah!!!!
p.s. I am not paid by Dolce Vita in any way...I meannn I wish I was. It's just that when I like something, I realllllly like it! g2g marathon of Law&Order on!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment