Last week, I had the wonderful opportunity to attend two grand charity events. The first of which was held on Tuesday at the fabulous Dream Hotel, with proceeds from the cocktail event going towards The Madison Square Boys and Girls Club (www.madisonsquare.org). Gotta admit, I had never heard of this alleged foundation, but given the event was being hosted by two friends, I had to support. It was quite the fab affair with drink specials, networking and raffle tickets (of course I didn't win anything...whomp). Interestingly enough, I've never really worked with children/inner-city youth...hard to believe, no? I mean the only charities I've ever participated with are a) Invisible Children. (will always be dear to my heart) and b) The Homeless...I have a fond place in my heart for homeless causes, dating as far back as Nov 2006 (I was returning to my dormroom after a night out, and this homeless man had a perplexed expression. I assumed he was going to ask me to spare some change; surprisingly, all he said was "WOW, you are just like a celebrity!!!" I dieeeeed.....forever changed my life, and yes, he followed that with asking for spare change!)...but I digress.
The second event was a Same Sky Jewelry Benefit at the Ana Tzarev Gallery (http://samesky.com/). One word: Class with a capital C! The champagne was a-flowin, the hors d'oeuvres were a-passin, and everyone was frankly, just having a grand ole time, all for a great cause! Same Sky is a trade-not-aid initiative in Rwanda, whereby famale survivors of the 1994 genocide are provided employment opportunities via artisan cooperatives. Basically, the women are taught how to make these resplendent bracelets out of handblown glass beads. Apparently the proceeds from the sales go directly to the artisans (minus shipping costs and all things such as). Truly an inspiring initiative! I would absolutely love to one day open up a boutique in Park Slope with clothing articles manufactured in sub-Saharan Africa (potential manufacturing site for D'apres Char!!)...but for now, I need to figure out a charity I can devote some time to. With so many options out there and so many great causes worth championing, how does one decide??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment